Infrastructure and PPP is one of the most rapidly developing practices in our company. The impetus for its emergence was the active development of infrastructure projects in St Petersburg, which is considered a leading city in this sphere, both in law and in practice.
PPP in Russia is quite new, and its framework provides newfound advantages and enables beneficial developments, both for private business and for the state. An increasingly important aspect developing major infrastructural projects is project finance. Knowing that the city was successfully realizing PPP and infrastructure projects one after the other, we couldn’t help but start this new practice with a great enthusiasm.
The international legal ratings The Legal 500 Europe, Middle East & Africa 2021 — 2012, Chambers & Partners Europe 2021 — 2014 and IFLR1000 2021 — 2015, as well as the leading Russian ranking of law firms Pravo.Ru-300 and the 2019 rating “Leaders of the Legal Services Market” of the “Kommersant” newspaper recommend Kachkin & Partners in the sphere of PPP. The involvement in legislative process of the Managing Partner Denis Kachkin is mentioned specially.
In 2019 Denis Kachkin was included in top 10 list of Russian lawyers who work in the sphere of PPP according to the rating “Leaders of the Legal Services Market” of the “Kommersant” newspaper. In 2020, according to the “Kommersant” newspaper, Kachkin & Partners is in top 5 Russian legal consultants on PPP and was listed among the TOP-3 managers in the field of consulting and law in St. Petersburg. Denis Kachkin has been also included into the best experts’ list in the personal ranking.
In 2019 Kachkin & Partners has been also recognized among the finalists of the most prestigious award for lawyers Chambers Russia Awards 2019 in the category “Law Firm of the Year in PPP”.
Denis Kachkin has been repeatedly awarded the honorary title «Lawyer of the Year for Project Finance and Development» according to the international professional ranking Best Lawyers (2014, 2019).
Being aware that English PPP experts are traditionally recognized as the best ones, we employ lawyers with Western education and experience in Russian PPP project implementation. We are successfully working in the local market, since long-standing practice has shown that both public and private enterprises prefer to work with a Russian law firm that knows the realities of Russian business practice and speaks their language.
Our expertise includes:
- the development of legal framework to introduce PPP principles upon request of public institutions and governmental bodies
- advising public institutions and governmental bodies on developing the regional PPP policy and forming the institutional framework for the implementation of PPP projects
- preparation of the legal basis for optimum infrastructural projects implementation model using PPP models
- tender documentation preparation, support of contractor selection process
- legal assessment of project risks and preparation of recommendations on optimum stratification of risks among project participants
- advising on material law issues arising from infrastructural project implementation
- advising on legal and land rights in immovable property
- drafting concession agreements and related contracts, mediating the implementation of PPP projects (including project agreements, construction agreements, construction management and financing agreements)
- advising on and preparation of documentation for corporate and tax structuring, incl. SPV and consortium operations
- advising on corporate and project financing, drafting relevant documentation, including security instruments
- support of construction activity, including assistance in obtaining relevant permits and accessing utility services
- advising on regulatory issues involving the use of natural resources, subsurface use, monument protection and other special legal structures
- Legal support for an investor at the stage of preparing a proposal on a PPP project in the field of medicine
- Legal support of the largest PPP project in the field of public transport in Russia — building and operating a tram network with total investment of about RUB 26 billion.
- Legal support for the participant in a tender for the right to conclude a concession agreement on highway construction
- Drafting of PPP legislation in Pskov Region
- Legal support for a project involving reconstruction and operation of the Leningrad Regional Medical Rehabilitation Center in Leningrad Region on the basis of PPP
- Support of conclusion of concession agreements on hotels construction in the frames of private initiative procedure in favour of private investors
- Legal support in preparing the private investor’s proposal on implementing a concession project in the field of medicine
- Development of a concept for the creation of an Innovational medical cluster in the Caucasian Mineral Waters Region spanning a total area of several tens of thousands sq km and an action plan for its implementation
- Participation in expert review and development of the draft federal law on PPP of the Russian Federation
- Comprehensive support for a project involving the creation of a “Regional Medical Rehabilitation Center” in Leningrad Region on the basis of PPP
- Support for a project involving the design, construction, operation and maintenance of road infrastructure in Moscow Region
- Legal support for two projects involving the creation of swimming pools in Leningrad Region, implemented on the basis of private concession initiative
- Legal study of prospects for the entry into economic circulation of the Peterhof State Museum-Reserve “Ropshinsky Palace” on public-private partnership terms
- Advising the Lipetsk region public authorities on the regional legislation improvement
- Advising the City of St. Petersburg authorities on the PPP project implementation
- Expert review and development of recommendations on improvement of draft law on Public Private Partnership of Sakha Republic (Yakutia)
- Joint work aimed at ensuring constructive interaction between government agencies, business and public organizations and support for interregional investment projects implemented on the basis of PPP
- Preparation of the Concept for the implementation of an investment project involving the construction and operation of a social-services facility on the basis of PPP
- Legal support of a PPP project on water utilities
- Formulation of legal arguments for the implementation of a recreational project on the basis of PPP
- Anti-corruption expertise of the existing laws and draft laws and subordinate acts of the Republic of Tatarstan (Volga Federal District of the Russian Federation)
- Advising a large food manufacturer in frameworks of acquiring state co-funding to a project to be fulfilled in Volga region (factory erection)
- Legal advice to KIT Finance holdings on construction of chain of boarding houses with medical treatment for elderly people
- Support of real property buyout in respect to the St. Petersburg Ring Road construction
- Expert review of draft law on Public Private Partnership of Udmurt Republic (Volga Federal District of the Russian Federation)
- Advising Kalmyk Republic government on the review of regional PPP legislation
- Advising the Slantsevsky municipal district’s governing bodies within the stadium construction project with the PPP mechanism application
- Advising the Slantsevsky municipal district’s governing bodies on the improvement of municipal legal and regulatory framework
- Advising the government of the Leningrad region on the review of regional PPP legislation
- Legal support to the project on creation a large landscape and leisure park located in the Moscow region